Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Waiting for the Sequel


Statue of an angel from The Bookstore

No, this isn’t a post on writing. Instead it’s a sort of farewell to a small bookstore in Radcliff, Kentucky called The Bookstore.

I learned about The Bookstore last year while at Fort Knox. JR Ward was scheduled to sign Lover Mine. My first thought? Awesome! My second thought? Why hadn’t I heard of this place?

The Bookstore is set in a small unassuming building on Lincoln Trail off Dixie Highway. Its owner, Jerry, not only supports local authors, he doesn’t look down at those of us who read and write genre fiction. (Trust me, I’ve seen bookstore owners eschew commercial fiction, considering it beneath its literary cousin.)

Sadly, though, this particular story is coming to the proverbial end. The Bookstore is closing but not completely. According to a Facebook post, Jerry plans to continue selling used books. So perhaps it’s not a closing as much as a restructuring.

His decision, from what I’ve heard, was partly affected by digital sales impacting print sales. This doesn’t surprise me, considering the Borders debacle.

I’m only sorry I hadn’t heard about The Bookstore before. Thank you, Jerry, for supporting authors and readers.    

By the way, did I mention he also sells awesome angels, dragons, and faeries?




5 comments:

Sutton Fox said...

Awww. I've totally missed it. That makes me sad. :(

Will have to stop by and check out the angels, dragons, and faeries though.

Thanks!

PamelaTurner said...

I heard he's closing that part of the store end of June/early July. Apparently, he'll sell used books & rent the upper floor. Still, I hate to see it close. Met JR Ward there twice & the place has that special "vibe."

Ciara said...

I was hoping with the downfall of the big chain book stores that some of the smaller ones would thrive. I'm sad to see another store close. :(

PamelaTurner said...

Hi Ciara,

What's even sadder is he's the only bookstore in Radcliff that sold new books. (If you don't count Wal-Mart.) The closest big bookstore chain is in nearby Elizabethtown.

V.R. Leavitt said...

I'm not familiar with the store, but it's sad to hear when any indie bookstore closes.