Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What's On My Shelf?


Aside from writing, revising, marketing, and social networking, authors also conduct research for the stories they write. While the internet provides information (often from dubious sources), books still remain a staple in my reference library.

I tend to buy books with the foresight I might need them later. This is especially true if they’re on sale. While I’ll probably buy most of my fiction in digital format, I’ll stay with print for my research material. I have a tendency to stick Post It notes on pages I refer to and flip back and forth. Easier for me to do with a paper book than an electronic one at this point.

What’s on my shelves? I thought I’d share some of the books I referred to while writing Death Sword and my current WIPs Serpent Fire and The Zaphkiel Project (which really needs a title). Since all three books are angel-centric, it would be best to start there:

Angels:

Angels A to Z (Lewis, James R. & Oliver, Evelyn Dorothy)

This was the first angel book I bought. I don’t remember if I planned to write about angels then. I think it was my fascination with them that prompted this purchase.

Book of Angels, The (Taylor, Renae; Thompson, Ruth; Williams, L.A.)

Okay, I’ll admit it. I bought this one because I love the artwork. But it’s actually got some interesting and unique information that’s helped me shape my Angels of Death series.

Dictionary of Angels, A (Davidson, Gustave)

A friend of mine, who’s quite well-versed in angelic lore, pointed me to this source. Took a while to find, but I’m glad I did. Comprehensive and rather eye-opening, it’s become my primary go-to reference when researching angels.

Dictionary of Demons, The (Belanger, Michelle)

What I like about this one is it challenges some preconceived notions about angels and demons, many of whom play dual roles of holy and fallen.

Encyclopedia of Angels, The (Guiley, Rosemary Ellen)

This is the book I refer to when I need to cross-check information.  
  
Tarot:

Spiritual Tarot (Echols, Signe E, M.S..; Mueller, Robert, Ph.D.; Thomson, Sandra A.)

It’s been a while since I’ve read this, but I remember it being very thorough on the meaning of the cards and the symbolism contained therein.

Tarot for Writers (Kenner, Corrine)

I use both the Rider-Waite and Celtic Tarot to develop characters and help plot my stories. Because they utilize the subconscious, the Tarot is also a great way to break through writer’s block.

That’s about it. If you have any reference books you like, please share. Thanks and enjoy!  







No comments: