Tuesday, January 12, 2016

My Writing Process

I'm actually in the process of revising a novel and a screenplay, so no new words as of yet this year. Although I am thinking of starting a new book soon, since of one my resolutions this year is to write more and write faster.

A couple of reasons I tend to write slowly is because I do a lot of plotting and research. And one of the first things I do is input my story information into Dramatica Pro, a story-engineering software. The program asks a series of questions regarding viewpoints, areas of conflict, main character vs. impact character, etc. Basically, it helps keep the story on-track from beginning to end.

Another program I use is WriteWayPro. Here, I can create a database of characters, take research notes, and write my book in a non-linear fashion. I can focus on the GMC of each scene, even make notes on the dialogue, plot, and revision, among other options.

Scrivener is similar to WWP, and I also use it to a certain extent. WWP was just easier for me to learn, but I'm sure I'll be utilizing Scrivener more in the future.

To plot my novel, I use Writer's Blocks 4, a virtual index card system. Each card can hold a scene, and I can add, delete, and move the cards around, much like screenplay writers do.

Power Structure is another software tool I'll use. It goes a little more into character development and plot development (such as asking what the opening hook is or the goal for the next scene). Yes, this is also covered in WWP, but only if chosen as an option when creating a book project.

I have noticed that using these programs (not always all of them for a book, but most of them), I tend to write faster than trying to "wing it." For example, it helped me write 50,000 words in 10 days for NaNoWriMo 2015. Not saying I could do that every month. But having everything available and organized helps with my writing process. Of course, as with everything, your mileage may vary.

No comments: