Wednesday, December 28, 2011

2011 Writing Goals in Review

It seems appropriate at this time of year to review the writing goals I set a year ago, and reflect on how I did with them.

DEATH SCENE was released in 2011, and I pledged to promote it. I did what I could, but sales figures indicate that there could be some improvement in this area. Still, sales of SUFFER THE CHILDREN picked up in its second year of publication, so maybe DEATH SCENE will start to come into its own in 2012.

I also pledged to get to the end of the first draft of the sequel to DEATH SCENE. Happily, I was more successful here. DEAD COOL, as the WIP is currently titled, is in its third draft and has gone out to beta readers.

Finally, I pledged to get the UF WIP to a stage where it was ready to be critiqued. I failed dismally here. After all my beta readers unanimously felt the plot wasn't working, I've trunked this project.

However, 2011 did see the start of a new project. I'm over 20,000 words into the first draft of a new horror novel, something that wasn't even an idle thought this time last year.

On the whole, it's not been too bad a year writing-wise. So what of 2012? Well, it will see the publication of my short story collection, SOUL SCREAMS, so there is something to look forward to. And herewith I set out my goals for 2012.

1. Finish DEAD COOL and get it out on submission. If I get a contract for it, even better, but I'm trying not to tempt providence.

2. Get the horror WIP completed to beta reader stage.

3. Step up the promotion a notch or two, and aim to increase sales of the published novels.

So it's going to be a busy year, writing-wise, as I've got two WIPs on the go at present. But it will be good for me to focus. I need to develop more discipline when it comes to writing.

I wish you all a Happy New Year, and all the best for 2012.

No comments: