Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Million Books


The Kobo has hit the UK. My husband caught me perusing these the other day. "We've already got two e-readers," he said sternly. "We don't need another one". I guess he's got a point. The Kobo looks like a cross between the iPad and the Kindle, and it takes ePub format e-books - the same as my Sony e-reader.

One of the selling points of the Kobo is that there are a million free e-books available for it. I got to thinking about that. A million books. That's a lot of books. Just how long would it take to read all those books? I read, on average, a book a week. At that rate it would take over 19,000 years to read a million books. Even if one were to read a book a day - possible if one didn't have to go to work or leave the house at all - it would still take over 2,700 years to read a million books.

Of course, it's doubtful that all of those free e-books are worth reading. But even if you only want to read a fraction of them, it's entirely possible to buy a Kobo and have enough reading material on it to last the rest of your life without having to buy another book.

That's not the way it would work, of course. Every time you perused the online e-book store, you'd find plenty of books you wanted to buy and read. And you will buy them, because once you realise how easy it is to buy e-books, and how convenient e-books are to carry around, you'll be converted.

That, my friends, is how e-books suck you in.

1 comment:

nerinedorman said...

The rate I'm going I'm lucky if I read a book a month.