Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year, New Goals

After taking a long sabbatical for the Holidays, I'm back.

Since we are in a new year, I decided to blog about writing goals, seeing as how I've recently taken the time to evaluate some of my own personal goals. For a writer, goals are important. Goals help us complete stories and/or decide what the next level in the ladder is. I'm not going to get all preachy and tell you what your goals should be, because the truth is every writer needs to set their own, whether it be small goals, short term goals, or larger ones. I will however share some of my own goals and how I plan to achieve them.

1. Write at least one 80,000 word novel.
This one may seem like a no brainer, but I've been hovering around the 60,000-70,000 word mark and I'd like to expand. In order to accomplish this I'm going to have to beef up my story lines and learn other techniques to improve my writing.

Which leads into the next goal...

2. Improve on my writing.
Whether it be through books, workshops, or continuing to work with my editor, I plan to improve the skills I already have and learn new ones to effectively craft my tales. I don't want to be a one trick pony and I'd like to stay in the publishing world. However, in order to do this, I can't rely on rehashing the same things. It'll only bore me and my readers.

3. Write at least two stories that are outside of genre.
This may sound simple, but you'd be surprised how hard it is, for me at least, to writed stories that don't fall under the paranormal or urban fantasy. Right now I am working on an erotica tale and a piece of historical fiction. Hopefully they pan out.

Of course this doesn't mean I won't still be crafting Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Fiction, but it does mean I'm going to be giving some new genres a try. Besides, you never know, I may have a hidden talent or two.

My last goal is more of a professional development goal.

4. Continue to build a back list.
The more things available for people to read, the more I can hope to use my writing to make a living and the more I can write. But until that happens, I still have my day job.

Anyway, enough about my goals. What are yours? I'm curious to hear about them.

No comments: