Friday, September 3, 2010

The joy of writing

For weeks now I've been struggling with a work in progress that's been decidedly uncooperative. It's the sequel to my second contracted work, titled Mojo Queen, that will be released next year. It's a book I want to write, that I have a lot of good ideas for, but for whatever reason it's not coming together right now. There's probably a lot of reasons for that but I think these are the two biggest: over-thinking the story, and putting pressure on myself because it's something I'm writing with the intention of submitting. I've got a little over ten thousand words on it, and after the first chapter every word felt like pulling teeth.

Sometimes the best thing you can do for a WIP is close the file and stay away from it for a while. I decided to do that, but I didn't want to stop writing. It's been a long time since I wrote something purely for fun, with no thought toward submission and possible publication. I tumbled on an idea and ran with it, having fun telling a story and not worrying about length or rules or anything. I started over the weekend and by Thursday afternoon had ten thousand words, the same amount it took me weeks to reach on the WIP.

 I don't know how long this story will be, though I am sure it won't be a full length novel. I have no idea what I'll do with it when it's finished. I just know that right now I'm rediscovering the sheer joy of storytelling, and I'm loving every page of it. Stress and pressure can rob you of the fun of writing. It's important to let go of that and write something that reminds you of why you're a writer in the first place.

No comments: